vineri, 2 aprilie 2010

The Bear and The Dragon - Book Review

This is a beast of a book, 1028 pages in the hard backed edition in a smallish point type. Don't even consider tackling it unless you have lots of spare time, good eyes, and plenty of stickability.When I set out on the road of The Bear and the Dragon I did not expect to complete it, I have never been a great Tom Clancy epic lover you see, but it surprised me. It unfailingly hooked me, and I stuck with through to the end.Briefly, China threatens Russia, the U.S. through her superior all-knowing intelligence gathering networks (is anyone as confident in American intelligence gathering today as they once were?) forewarns Russia and invites "Ivan" into the NATO fold. Ivan, surprised and duly slobbering at the mouth, bites off the invitation, which allows American troops into Russia. Does that sound plausible? Possible perhaps, but likely - may be not.As per normal Mister Clancy demonstrates a thorough knowledge of all things armament, which may interest many readers, bored me I have to say, though I found the human stories contained within this book far more interesting and readable, and if they are un-Clancy-like, well perhaps TC ought to concentrate more upon those, though I guess in that case half his readership would disappear in a multi-megaton. Size isn't everything you know, so they say.Would I read another Tom Clancy doorstep novel? Yes I would, without hesitation, especially if he could be persuaded to write more about people, and less about obliteration.The Bear and the Dragon
by Tom Clancy.
ISBN: 071814337X dr seuss cat in hat book

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu